For our recommendations for the best air conditioners for apartments, check out our detailed comparison chart here.
Instead of paying for expert installation of a heavy unit in a fixed stationery location, you can plug in and begin enjoying cool air instantly, anywhere a nearby electrical outlet exists.
Mobile air conditioners run on electricity and are designed for maximum user-friendliness and convenience. Studies reveal that most owners prefer having multiple portable ACs over costly central HVAC systems.
Because portable air coolers have casters attached to the bottom and compact designs, these appliances make it easier than ever to create targeted comfort in desired areas. They are even great supplements for existing central air conditioning, as an ideal remedy for “hot spots” that ceiling and wall air ducts cannot reach.
Portable air conditioning is becoming increasingly popular for offices, homes, and apartments where central HVAC or window units are impractical.
Other Practical Uses of Portable Air Conditioners
Thanks to advanced technology, modern air conditioners serve many functions besides mere cooling. Common additional modes that are now considered standard include heating, dehumidifying and fanning. Mobile ACs with dehumidification capability work in a cyclical manner to refrigerate air.
This causes excessive humidity to be extracted from air as it recirculates through the device. That feature is greatly appreciated by those who reside in coastal areas or other locales with extremely humid climes. If you feel a multi-function portable air conditioner can best fit the bill by meeting all your needs, be sure to inspect the list of product specs for any model before you buy.
When it comes to multi-purpose capacity that is customized for smaller living quarters, ACP’s new 1400H portable model is among the best air conditioners for apartments. It comes equipped with dual heat/cooling as well as innovative automated air evaporating dehumidification.
How Portable A/C Units Operate
Mobile air coolers are essentially metal boxes attached to an air exhaust hose. The interior of the metallic housing is divided into heating and cooling sides. The entire assembly must be placed close enough to a window, so enough of the exhaust hose length can be run outside to prevent hot air from reentering.
Because mobile air conditioners provide cooling by using moisture previously extracted from the air, they work more efficiently. Excess water that accumulates from this process must be periodically disposed of, either by:
1. Emptying a tray or bucket located within the metal box framing, or
2. Funneling liquid outside the unit via a vent hose
Although portable ACs do not have to be professionally installed, it is important to remember that users must readjust exhaust hosing to the appropriate size of whatever opening is available in different areas or rooms.
Fortunately, all models come with adapters that are simple to attach and remove from the exhaust hose. There is also usually foam insulation included to patch up gaps in partially open windows.
Five Best Reasons Why People Buy Portable ACs:
1. Air Purity. Mobile air coolers have integrated air purification filters. Many of the larger models even have carbon-activated and ionizing filters to enhance air purity. All interior air is polluted with harmful microscopic toxins. Thus, households where elderly, asthmatic, allergy-prone, or toddlers live are ideal candidates for cleaner air with a portable cooling system. Even “normal” people benefit greatly by breathing cleaner air, because it bolsters the body’s natural immunity to respiratory disease and allergies.
2. Simplicity. A major advantage of mobile ACs is no extra expense for an electrician and/or carpenter to perform permanent initial installation. The only “tradeoff” is external exhaust hose readjustment that is quite easily done with a free adapter kit.
3. Mobility. Ability to move around at will with attached wheels is perhaps the main attraction of mobile ACs.
4. Energy Efficiency. A primary drawback of huge central HVAC systems is lack of discriminate cooling. This equates to massive energy being wasted needlessly. By contrast, portable air coolers allow easy targeted comfort in any desired area where a 115-volt plug is located.
5. Versatility. The vast majority of modern ACs on wheels go far beyond the call of basic cooling duties. It is not difficult to find affordable dual-purpose models with both heating and cooling functions, with fan and dehumidifying modes as well. Such extra features allow easier breathing in a more comfortable environment all year long!