AC units for windows are popular at home and the office, especially in places dealing with high temps during the summer. Window conditioner units take up some space, but when it comes to being comfortable, giving up a window can be well worth it.
When a person has been too warm and suffering from high humidity, getting an AC up and running can be a reason to celebrate. Still, if one wants to stay cool every summer for years to come, one must keep the AC clean.
A window conditioner is just like any other machine that runs on electricity. It has to be kept cleaned and serviced. Can mold grow in window air conditioner? Oh, yes. As with anything that deals with moisture, an AC can and will develop some mold over time.
Here are some tips for cleaning that AC and keep it mold-free:
- To begin, unplug the unit and enlist another person to help you move it to a stable table.
- Now you can take the grill off the front of the AC. If the grill has been screwed on, you will need a screwdriver to remove the screws, but if clips have been used instead, you can use a putty knife to pry off the grill.
- Remove the filter and wash it clean.
- Scrub the grill using warm, soapy water and then let it and the filter soak in diluted bleach water to get rid of any mold or other bacteria. After a few minutes, rinse both well and place them in a safe place to dry.
- Use a brush attachment on a vacuum cleaner to reach in and vacuum out the evaporator coils as cleanly as you can.
- If there is stubborn dirt, you can use a scrub brush with a plastic handle to remove it.
- Look over the fins that are on the coils. If any of these are bent or malformed, you can purchase a fin comb at any store that sells appliances. Use this on them to straighten them out. Be careful as the fins are not strong.
- Turn the AC unit around so the back of the unit is facing you, and proceed with the condenser coils in the same way as the evaporator coils: vacuum, scrub, and straighten the fins.
- Make sure to look at the rest of the air conditioning unit and continue to use vacuum brushes for any dust that has gathered on the inside of the conditioner.
- Do not forget to clean the fan blades as the blades do tend to collect dust fairly easily.
- When dry, reinstall the filter and replace the grill.
- Move the air conditioner back into its place in the window.
- Plug in your freshly cleaned air conditioner.
Your window air conditioner will need regular maintenance to keep it working, so be sure to go through this process on a regular basis to stay cool during those hot days.