For our most in-depth reviews of the top-selling portable air conditioners, check out this comparison chart.
A big advantage of portable cooling is the ability to install, move, or re-install the units as needed. They can be less cumbersome than window models, and they are a lot more affordable than central air installation or adjustment.
You can save valuable space if you cool a small room or apartment with a portable air conditioner, and many people use them in addition to central air or window ac systems. You may end up with lower energy costs is you use portable cooling by itself or with an existing permanent cooling system.
Additional things to know regarding portable ac:
1. Appropriate size is crucial to proper cooling, and choosing the largest model may be just as counterproductive as choosing an ac unit that is too small for your interior environment. You should match the room square footage to the product cooling capacity. 5,000, 7,000, 14,000, and 60,000 BTU are popular sizes available for consumer use.
2. The portability advantage can be lessened due to the noise factor that is often present, but updates to newer models can keep noise to a minimum. A split design can keep things quieter at any setting, and a quiet ac will help you to sleep, work, and enjoy your environment to the fullest extent.
3. Water condensation is a natural byproduct of these cooling units, and some of this water is used for cooling the unit properly. Excess water needs to be removed, and some models are designed with automatic evaporation technology to make this process effortless.
4. Hose models are either mono-block or air-to-air, and there are advantages or disadvantages depending upon your cooling needs. A mono-block hose may require some labor in terms of removing accumulated moisture, and this is why many people select the air-to-air option for rooms that are best cooled with continuous ac operation.
5. You should select ac that has a good seasonal energy efficiency ratio (SEER) and one with a high energy star rating as well. You should check the ac filter at least once each month, and this can keep your home or work environment clean, cool, and comfortable all year long.