The most important factor to consider before deciding to buy a unit is the area of the room to be cooled. This can be a single room, a few rooms or the entire building. A unit that is either too small or too big for the room will neither be efficient nor effective. When deciding the best size of an AC machine, the following factors must be looked into:
1. Dimensions of the Room: measure the height and width of all the windows, the dimension of the floor as well as all the walls in the house before consulting an expert to determine the right AC size.
2. Thermostats: Consider buying a unit that has various cooling speeds, an adjustable thermostat, at least two fan speeds and settings that promote energy efficiency.
3. Energy Efficiency: Check the EER of the device. The Energy Efficiency Ratio will tell you everything you need to know about the efficiency of the device; the higher the better. A higher ratio also translates to huge savings or reduced costs.
4. BTU’s/hour: In addition to the floor area, the number of British Thermal Units per area should also be given strong consideration. A larger floor area means that the BTU per hour will also be higher.
5. In addition to these factors, you also need to consider the dimensions and number of windows in the building as well as the direction they are facing as this will affect air conditioning.