Here are some important reasons why venting is necessary.
1. Why do free standing air conditioning units need to be vented?
These portable AC systems extract hot air, so they need to be vented. When you want to make sure your air conditioning system is able to effectively cool the room, it is important that hot air is able to be vented outside.
2. What is a free-standing AC system?
Free standing air conditioning units are simply portable air conditioners that can be moved from room to room. These self-contained units do not need to be permanently installed. However, these units will need to be vented, unusually through a wall or window.
Once you have your free standing air conditioner system positioned where you want it, you will need to place the exhaust hose in an opening that will allow it to vent hot air out of the room.
3. What steps must one follow in order to ensure a free standing unit is vented?
In order for the unit to work properly when set in the air conditioning mode, it is necessary for the venting kit to be installed.
The venting kit is not to be used when the unit is in heat mode (for units that also provide heat) or if you are operating in fan only mode.
Here are the steps typically needed to install a venting kit:
1. Select the vent location.
2. The exhaust connector should slide over the opening on the rear of your AC where the unit discharges.
3. Connect the unit’s exhaust hose to your free-standing AC’s exhaust connector.
4. Use the window kit to adjust the length needed to fit your window. If necessary, you can also mark and cut the kit to ensure you get a proper fit for your opening.
5. Connect the adapter for the venting window kit to your window kit.
6. Place the window venting kit in your window and make sure the exhaust hose is connected to the unit’s window kit adapter, then shut the window. Your AC unit is now ready to use.
It is important to ensure the exhaust hose is kept straight when the venting system is in use. Increasing the length of your exhaust hose is not advised; however, you can shorten it. It is also not recommended that you plug your free-standing air conditioner into an extension cord.
Different units will vary on how they are vented. The crucial factor to keep in mind is to follow the detailed instructions that come with your air conditioner. When you vent the unit properly as well as follow the instructions provided for how to care for your AC system, you will get many years of service from your purchase.